August 2, 2020
This week we get to hear from Todd and Terri Althaus on missions. I am so excited to hear their story and to learn about their missionary work in France. Together we…are all sent on God’s mission to redeem all things. Our Sunday worship time will be that sacred space where this church value will be introduced.
This week’s family video is presented by Dr. Scott Moreau. Scott and Emily Moreau have been at Wellspring since 1995. Scott serves as the Academic Dean for the Wheaton Graduate School. He is also a professor of Intercultural Studies! You will enjoy hearing his story of missions! We will also have another amazing Science & Wonder video by Dr. Lainna Callentine! We want to encourage you to watch these videos during dessert following one of your meals so you can discuss the questions together. Set aside this time and genuinely ‘hype’ it up as a space to learn from one another and be with Jesus. There are also some ideas for your family to ‘practice’ the value of mission this week on the Family Enrichment page.
We will also have a weekly Zoom gathering for early childhood. This week we have a special guest, Krista Hector to lead our Bible Story time. Your child will hear about Paul and Silas on a missionary journey. This will be on Wednesday morning at 10 am.
My encouragement for this week will be:
- Model… Children learn by modeling…by imitation and repetition.
- Anticipate worshiping together. Ask your child… ”Hmmm. I wonder….How will you experience Jesus this morning as we worship together?”
- Bless your child at the end of Sunday’s worship.
- Collaborate on ways to ‘practice’ the value during the week.
I am praying for you and your families this week as you engage in spiritual conversations around mission.
A blessing with motions:
May the light of God shine over you (wave hand in arch overhead)
May the Holy Spirit fill you (forward motion of hand palm out)
May the blood of Jesus cover you (sign of the cross)
May you go in peace (forward motion of hand palm up…as an invitation)
And may you always know just how much the Lord Jesus loves you. (sign of cross and end with hand over heart)
Examples of Blessings from Scripture:
From 2 Pet. 3:18 – Child’s Name, may you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. May you bring him glory both now and to the day of eternity.
From Jude 24-25 – Child’s Name, God is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy. May you worship him, our only God, and Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, giving Him glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever.
From Numbers 6:22-26 – Child’s Name, May the LORD bless you and keep you; May the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; May the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.
From Rom. 15:13 – Child’s name, May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- In your own way, set-up the place in front of your screen to be a unique and special worship space that is created just for Sundays only. How can you make this space look or feel different than the other days of the week? How can you make Sunday the highlight of the week?
- Consider laying out white Christmas lights somewhere in your space.
- Dim the lights or make the lighting somehow special to create a quiet atmosphere.
- Place Christ Candle in the center of the space or place high on a shelf for it to be seen throughout the room.
- Create soft places to sit, with pillows or blankets.
- Have quiet toys, art supplies and play-doh ready to bring out at the proper time.
- Have worship instruments available, if possible.
- Enter with expectancy. Enter with wonder…I wonder what God has for us today? I wonder how my child will encounter Jesus this morning.
- Enter slowly…quietly and calmly.
- Take three long deep breaths before you light the Christ Candle.
Journals…some of your children may enjoy a journal more than the Splash Pad Pages. Here are some journals that would be special and ONLY used for Sunday worship.
For Writing: Lined Paper.
For unlined paper…better for drawing:
For both writing and drawing:
Best Ever No-Cook Play Dough Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (baby oil and coconut oil work too)
- 1/2 cup salt.
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar.
- 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- gel food coloring (optional)
- few drops glycerine (my secret ingredient for stretch and shine!)
To order Wikki Stix…here are two choices from Amazon:
Wikki stix…they can stick to things without making a mess.